Sunday, October 26, 2008

Can you really have too much of a good thing?


October has so far been an excellent month for blockbuster game titles. I for one have been looking forward to getting amongst as much as I can afford, both in the money and time sense. I got a copy of Pure and thought it was excellent. I also got a copy of Saints Row 2. This I feel needs some work but none the less, a good effort and lots of big dumb fun.

More recently, we were lucky enough to get a copy of Fable II before its intended release date which is GREAT. I have been digging into that with great satisfaction as I am a Fable fan from way back.

Then the spanner was cast. Far Cry 2.

A problem? Not really. Well, at least I didn't think it would be a problem. Until last night when I decided to throw it in to check it out, as you do when you purchase such a hefty title such as Far Cry 2. Then came the problem. Its totally f'ing awesome. Like I'm talking Fable II f'ing awesome.

You see what I'm getting at? How the hell do you prioritize one major release game over another? That is, how do I fully enjoy Fable II when I know Far Cry 2 is waiting for me, and vice versa! As I thought about it a bit more, I remembered the other titles coming soon and came to the conclusion that its only going to get worse. ALOT worse. We have Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, Little Big Planet, Left 4 Dead, not to mention Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band, all within the next few weeks. I thought I was ready for the onslaught of quality gaming to come, ready to gorge myself like a fat man at the self serve buffet. Turns out my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Again.

For me, I feel its not so much a question of how do you afford all these great games anymore, as Brother N talked about just recently. I think I have shown myself this month that where there is a will there is a way when it comes to scraping up funds for games. For me its now a matter of how much enjoyment am I going to get out of each game once they are all sitting in front of me, ready to play. I sure as hell am not going to rush through these games, but I'll be positively ITCHING to start the next one. Its a vicious, vicious circle.

I used to work in game retail so I know why they release all the major blockbusters at once this time of year, I really do. Its getting into the silly season and there is a tonne of money to be made because Mrs. Mum needs to get her son little Johnny Shithead the latest game for Christmas because he had enough of giving people shit on COD4 over Xbox Live. However for the "average" gaming enthusiast like myself and my friends, its just flatout inconvenient.

AAAAAAANYWAY................

I know I'm definitely not the only one in this wretched boat. How are you guys coping with the large amounts of awesome upon us? Is there a pecking order you follow or do you just dip you hand in a hat and pull out a number? Or do you just throw it all in and take up bush walking? I would love to hear about it.

Mr Metal

PS: Notice that I didn't mention Dead Space at all? I have made the tough decision to not look at that game until this wave of titles are done. And its KILLING me because that game looks absolutely amazing.

No comments: