Monday, December 8, 2008

Breaking up with Guitar Hero

A few years ago, on a recommendation from a one Mister Metal, I picked up Guitar Hero for the PS2. Walking out to my car with a kiddy sized plastic guitar I have to admit a little twang of shame.

Not helped by the slight look of pity from my girlfriend who shot me that 'Oh thats just sad' look as I stood in front of the TV, missing notes and jerking the guitar around. Months passed and we all grew to love it, so much though that when Guitar hero II came around, I bought her her own shiny red Gibson.

Guitar Hero 80s was the first sign that shit was going wrong. That game straight up sucked. It felt like a shitty mod. So by the the time GH3 came out we were quite dubious. Apart from the gross product placement, it was pretty good and the new wireless guitar was pure magic.

Then came Rock Band. Oh wait. No it didn't. It never came. But after some a friend did some importing, we did manage to have a nice 7 hour session that confirmed just how good it was.

Guitar Hero World tour should be just as good right? It's not. I hate it. The new guitar is awesome and the drums are fine...so where's the beef?

I play this game with my friends. I don't care if I never five star a song on expert. I play it for shits and giggles over a few well placed ales. So when that game says 'FAILED' and boots us all out because one person looses the plot, I am totally turned off. Everyone is.

So, to quote the wonderfully eloquent Omoclese when asked if we should trade it in for Rockband DLC money; ' Yeah, Fuck that game'

Fuck it indeed.

One copy of Rock Band II please.

-n

No comments: